Mark Taubert’s Profile
I am a palliative care doctor and senior lecturer. I created the TalkCPR.com website & app and has given a Ted Talk on why language and wording is important in palliative care. I write for international newspapers and web based media outlets on contemporary medical topics. I took part in a BBC Horizon programme on Palliative Care alongside Kevin Fong, and have also done extensive media work with television, theatre and radio. I have talked about medical topics at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival and at Hay Literary Festival.
A few years ago I had a brief brush with fame, when my posthumous letter to David Bowie, which covers the components of good end of life care, went viral on the internet and in global newsrooms. The letter has been made into a classical music composition which was aired on BBC Radio 3, and has been publicly read out by various celebrities and drifters in locations including New York, London, Hay-on-Wye, Edinburgh and Berlin.
I hail from Hessen in Germany and settled in the land of song, Wales. On occasion, I act as an adviser for a Welsh TV soap opera called Pobol y Cwm, on matters medical, end of life and palliative, and I have thus far choreographed the deaths of two of the programme’s main characters.
- National Strategic Lead for Advance Care Planning in Wales
- Byw Nawr/Live Now coalition clinical lead
- Harvard Medical School GCSRT programme faculty
- Welsh End of Life Care board member
- NHS Bevan Commission Senior Fellow
- BMJ Group Editor (BMJ Supportive & Palliative Care)
Writing, Media & Bringing Palliative Care to wider public attention:
Interviews and media appearances include BBC Horizon (We Need to Talk About Death), ITV, Fox News, BBC Radio 4.
Plenaries at numerous healthcare, research, sociology and technology events. Other events of interest:
- Tedx Talk Cardiff
- Edinburgh Fringe Comedy Festival Scotland
- Sorveiv Music Festival Norway
- Hay Literary Festival Wales
- Researcher of the Year Award Winner 2019 European Association for Palliative Care First prize for Clinical Impact. Award ceremony at 16th World Congress of the EAPC in Berlin, Germany
- Winner of Excellence in Patient Care Awards 2019 Royal College of Physicians, London
- Winner Health Service Journal Patient Safety Awards (Palliative Care category) 2018
- Winner BMA/BMJ Clinical Teacher of the Year award 2017
- Winner NHS Wales Award (2016)
- Winner BEST Educational Supervisor Award in Wales 2016 – Wales Deanery
Letters of note:
- TalkCPR website Informing Do Not Attempt Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (DNACPR) decisions in palliative care
- Digital Legacy Association
- Moth project Falmouth University School of Art: Medical graphic design collaboration exhibited in galleries & conferences
- Advance Care Planning website for Wales – an online area for patients, proxy & healthcare professionals
- Velindre VR Project: Virtual Reality video library. Details Wales STEME Conference VR in MedEd Plenary video